Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pas de Chien


I've told you of my enthusiasm for tutus, so it should come as no surprise that I have an appreciation for ballet as well.  Though I love many types of dance, there is something alluring about the combination of classical music, tutus and the graceful movements of ballet.  What a wonderful way to tell a story!  It's so moving--literally!


As a puppy, I had a dream of becoming a ballerina and performing wonderful solos in tutus, perhaps being the next Anna Pavlova--with more hair.  I never really had the body type to begin with, lacking willowy, graceful legs you know; so it quickly became clear that I was meant for other things, but I have retained a love for ballet and still dance around in my tutu when inspired.


Edgar Degas painted some of the most beautiful iconic ballerinas; they have a wonderful timelessness to them.  I have chosen some of my favorites to share with you.


Degas

I love the brilliant colors in this painting!  It's as if the colors are doing a dance all of their own!

Renoir

This painting is actually a Renoir, but it was begging to be included!  I love her almost wistful expression and the way her pale pink shoes and pink cheeks warm the painting.
  
Degas

Of course, there is a lot of work that goes into mastering the art of ballet, and I think this piece captures that perfectly.  Can you see the little dog that has snuck into this painting?  

Degas

I love the way the flowers on her costume spill down her skirt. She has a wonderful air that is both girlishly free and artistic-ally focused!  I like that you can see the other dancers and Dance Master waiting in the wings.

Degas

I don't know what it is about this painting exactly,  
but I love it!!!

Degas

This pastel is interesting; it has such a different feeling than the others! The color palette is so intriguing, it draws you in.



The source of this photo is unknown to me, but it's nice to know I'm not the only dog who has dreamed of being a ballerina!


"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
- Vicki Baum




No comments:

Post a Comment