Tuesday, November 18, 2014

First Snow!!

As some of you know, I love most anytime of year and can gush about the beauty of it; the first snow is no exception, in fact 
it might be one of my favorite times 
(hmmm....does that sound familiar?)!!!!  


I absolutely adore the first snow and look forward to it for weeks!  A week or so ago we had a few descending flakes of snow and I instantly wanted more!!  Yesterday my wish was granted and it is lovely--buckets and buckets of it accumulated overnight!!  And the snow continued to swirl and whirl into the early afternoon keeping it fresh, sparkling and clean all day! 
***
Well, this is my ode to winter and crystalized ice!!  


My favorite variety of snow is the kind that comes overnight, transforming the world into a winter fairyland. It's like a present when you look out your window in the morning. 


The snow caught the garden rather by surprise!  A few roses that were hanging onto the memory of summer had a snowy send-off.


My friend Miss Shirley has been preparing for the snow with her thick winter coat and watched it fall inquisitively from the doorway of her house...



There's something peaceful and contemplative about slowly working and doing chores in the barn while the weather 
blusters about outside.


I have a tradition of making my first pumpkin or squash pie of the season on the day of the first snow; it is a nice way to welcome the wintery weather while admiring in from the warmth of the kitchen. I used the recipe I shared with you last November, only this year I used some of our lovely volunteer pumpkins that decided to grow on our brush pile this summer.  We had fun making a wintery scene with them in the snow!


 "Do you want to build a snow man, c'mon out let's go and play......"  I'm sorry I don't know what just came over me, my mind must have been a little Frozen for a moment....


As I grow older I tend to spend less time frolicking in the snow and more time admiring it from warmer places....I found a lovely sunny spot in our new greenhouse, it was 
surprisingly warm, almost cozy!


The parsley shares a similar sentiment when it comes to snow so we forged a camaraderie while staying out of the biting wind......


"Sunshine is delicious,
 rain is refreshing, 
wind braces us up, 
snow is exhilarating;  
there is really no such thing as bad weather, 
only different kinds of good weather."
~~John Ruskin




7 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your blog but especially today because I did find your pie recipe. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K.D. And Miss Shirley--you make the snow fun! Great hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am definitely an advocate for proper winter wear, it makes the season so much more enjoyable!

      Delete
  4. K.D. You always look so stylish, even in a snow bank!! Your hat is very becoming!!!

    ReplyDelete